Megaways™ slots are one of the few additions to online casino portfolios that have undoubtedly and wholly transformed the iGaming industry. Pioneered in 2016 by Big Time Gaming, a Sydney-based game development studio, the Megaways™ engine is a remarkable game feature that radically changed the way players can win when playing slots. Today, dozens of talented game providers are creating Megaways™ titles under licence from BTG — each trying to outshine the rest. Having a ‘Megaways’ label attached to an online slot is practically a guarantee of the game becoming a blockbuster hit, but that’s not all that these games have to offer.
WHAT ARE MEGAWAYS™ SLOTS?
Games built on the Megaways™ engine are quite similar to classic slots, but the mechanics of attributing wins are fundamentally different. To paint a clearer picture of what Megaways™ slots are all about, let’s take a look at slots that predate this innovative addition.
Classic casino slots have a relatively rigid setup: a static number of reels, rows and a set of paylines on which identical symbols must land to count as a winning combination. One of the most common misconceptions about regular slots is that any combination of identical symbols running across the reels should count as a win — that is not always so. To count as a win, the symbols must perfectly align with one of the game’s paylines, also called ‘win lines’ or ‘bet lines’; these paylines are arbitrary lines that run across the reels, predetermined by the game’s provider. When that happens, the slot will calculate the total sum of your winnings by factoring in the number of symbols on the payline, their respective payout value and the wager that you’ve placed on that spin. If the winning sequence has any special symbols in it, that may also affect the final payout.
Slots can have as few as three or five paylines, so the opportunities to win may be relatively limited. All that went out the window when the Megaways™ engine debuted in BTG’s Dragon Born and Bonanza. This newly added feature is a reel modifier that, in simple terms, alters the number of symbols that land on each reel and changes the way that wins are attributed. Instead of landing a fixed number of symbols on each reel, their number will fluctuate with every spin (usually from two to seven). And instead of using paylines to determine wins, these games will pay out on any sequence of identical symbols that fall on adjacent reels.
MEGAWAYS™ REEL MODIFIER — HOW IT WORKS
So, how does it all work? Every time the reels spin on a Megaways™ casino slot, the number of symbols on each reel will differ. Since wins register on sequences of adjacently lying symbols, this means that the number of ways to win will also change with every spin. The more symbols you land in one spin, the more ways to win will be available. Let’s take a closer look at the math behind it.
Just like regular online slots, Megaways™ games can have different reel layouts, number of symbols, themes, features, etc. Usually, Megaways™ slots will have six reels with two to seven symbols that can land on each reel. On any given spin, you may see anywhere between 12 and 42 symbols. To calculate the number of active ways to win, all we need to do is multiply the number of symbols on each reel by the number of symbols on the next reel, and so on until all reels are accounted for. If you are lucky enough to land seven symbols in each reel, this will mean that there are 7*7*7*7*7*7 = 117,649 ways to win — the game’s maximum.
Keep in mind that the number of ways to win does not correlate to your wins during that spin; the higher number simply implies a greater chance to land wins, since more symbols are active on the reels. Additionally, the symbols still have to abide by any other game rules, such as having to be identical, beginning the sequence from the leftmost reel, and having a minimum number of symbols to count as a win. In other words, ways to win are like paylines but more flexible — and there’s a whole lot more of them!
BONUS FEATURES IN MEGAWAYS ™ SLOTS
The best part about playing Megaways™ slots is that they are packed to the brim with bonus features. Aside from classic Wilds, Scatters and Free Spins bonuses, players will find many other innovative features and mechanics in these groundbreaking games. The number of ways to win in Megaways™ online slots can vary greatly, making these casino games more volatile than typical, run-of-the-mill slots. Although the higher volatility may deter some, the sheer abundance of bonus features helps keep Megaways™ incredibly entertaining for all players. Let’s have a look at some of the features you’ll encounter:
- Cascading Reels — Almost all Megaways™ slots are designed with Cascading reels, also called Avalanching, Tumbling or Rolling reels. This mechanic removes all symbols from a winning sequence and replaces them with new symbols, which typically fall from above or slide in from the right. This means that players can trigger chain reactions of wins, like a cascade!
- Multipliers — Most Megaways™ games will have multipliers or other win boosts. Multipliers and Cascading reels make for a powerful combo, which is why Megaways™ slots often feature unlimited, stacking multipliers on consecutive wins.
- Free Spins — Free Spins bonuses are practically a given in Megaways™ slots; however, you’ll find that these bonus rounds will be packing plenty of extra perks and rewards. In Megaways™ games, bonus rounds can have additional multipliers, extra reels, special symbols and other features. A Free Spins bonus in a Megaways™ game can often be retriggered as well, but the triggering conditions may differ from the base game.
- Special Symbols — Just like most other slots, Megaways™ games are packed with special symbols of every kind. From Sticky Wilds to Expanding symbols, you’ll find them all! Many Megaways™ games will also feature symbols that you haven’t encountered before, like the BTG coin in some Megaways™ slots from Big Time Gaming. Symbols like these will have different functions; they can be a collection feature, for example, with which players can increase the chances of triggering a bonus feature or reduce its cost through the Bonus Buy feature (this feature is not available in all jurisdictions). You may also run into a Mystery Win symbol, which can award multipliers, extra spins, some cash or other perks.
- Other Features — There’s no limit to features when it comes to Megaways™ casino slots. These games will have everything from Respins and jackpots to interactive mini-games and unique puzzles. Always make sure to read through the rules of the game before you play, they will describe all special symbols and features in great detail.
BEST MEGAWAYS™ SLOTS
Due to the engine’s unparalleled popularity, more and more casino game providers are incorporating Megaways™ into their slots, or variations thereof. Some providers operate under licence from Big Time Gaming, which allows them to use the function exactly as it is in games like Bonanza and White Rabbit. Others, like Microgaming and Red Tiger, offer their own twist on this popular feature. Aside from the classics, we recommend checking out games like Dazzle Me Megaways™, Fruit Shop Megaways™, Gonzo’s Quest™ Megaways™, Piggy Riches Megaways™ and Reel King Mega. Not all of these games are currently available at LV BET, but keep your eye out for these stellar additions in the future!
✅ HOW DOES A MEGAWAYS™ SLOT WORK?
The Megaways™ engine is a random reel modifier that alters the number of symbols that land on the reels. As long as the symbols fall adjacent to one another, and begin from the leftmost reel, the sequence will register as a win. Depending on the number of symbols landing on the reels, the number of ways to win may vary considerably from spin to spin. This means that there can be anywhere from a few dozen to thousands of active ways to win.
✅ HOW DO YOU WIN WHEN PLAYING A MEGAWAYS™ SLOT?
To win in a Megaways™ game, the sequence of identical symbols must land on adjacent reels, consecutively and usually from the leftmost reel. The symbols don’t have to touch, but the reels must. The number of symbols necessary to trigger a win will vary and can be found on the game’s paytable.
✅ WHICH MEGAWAYS™ SLOTS ARE THE MOST POPULAR?
Every Megaways™ game is incredibly popular amongst the players, and every Megaways™ release is always eagerly anticipated by the fans. Some of the most popular Megaways™ casino slots are Dazzle Me Megaways™, Fruit Shop Megaways™, Piggy Riches Megaways™, Bonanza and Gonzo’s Quest™ Megaways™.
✅ HOW MUCH CAN I WIN ON SUCH SLOTS?
All casino slots are games of chance; thus, there is no guarantee of winning, and the size of winnings cannot be predicted. Your winnings will depend on various factors: your wager, the value and quantity of winning symbols, multipliers and any other win modifiers. These conditions and payout values will always be specified in the game’s rules and the paytable.
✅ WHERE CAN I PLAY THE BEST MEGAWAYS™ SLOTS?
You can play some of the hottest Megaways™ games at LV BET, where you’ll also find hundreds of other awesome games from the industry’s leading providers. We’re continually expanding our portfolio to offer even more games, including older Megaways™ hits and new releases, so check back in for more epic gameplay!
✅ HOW MANY POSSIBLE WAYS CAN YOU WIN AT MEGAWAYS™ SLOT MACHINES?
You can calculate the number of ways you can win by multiplying the number of symbols on each reel by the number of symbols on the next reel, and so on until all reels are accounted for. For example, if you have a slot with three reels and a maximum of seven symbols per reel, then the maximum number of ways to win is 343 (7 x 7 x 7). If you are playing a Megaways™ slot with six reels and seven symbols land on each reel, you are working with 117,649 ways to win (7 x 7 x 7 x 7 x 7 x 7).